Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Poetry Memorization

Memorizing poems is one of my favorite things to do with the kids, even though one of my greatest weaknesses is the ability to memorize things. Even for music recitals, I was always the last to memorize my piece. I even remember one piano teacher calling my piece in at the last minute. We couldn't perform unless the piece was memorized, and I squeaked by at the last minute. We just pick a poem until it's memorized, then pick another. Sometimes I pick one; sometimes Amirah does. Here's Amirah doing our most recent poem, "The Eagle" by Alfred Lord Tennyson.



We finished that one last week. This week we're memorizing "The Wind" by Robert Louis Stevenson. It just so happens that my all-time favorite children's cd is Ted Jacobs' A Child's Garden of Songs "The Wind" is one of the pieces on the cd, so this time we're going to memorize it as a poem and as a song. RLS's poems are so well-crafted, and the music here is very tastefully done (unplugged!).

Looking forward to continued memorizations, and making my own dendrites make more connections!

No comments: