Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pillow Mail

Amirah's favorite subject is definitely not writing. I suspect it's something to do with the physical act of writing. Narrations she'll do ad infinitum and not skip a beat. If a task involves writing, however, she'll try to do as little as she can get away with. Her pencil grip is correct so there's no interference there. Her writing does look nice. It may just be something that will take a little more time to become more effortless.

So... I had been brainstorming over different ways to incorporate writing activities that would be as inviting as possible. Hence, the invention of Pillow Mail. Amirah and I picked out a cute little notebook. I wrote her a short letter, then put the book under her pillow. She found it, and a little while later there was a letter to me under my pillow. When I have a chance I'll write back to her and back and forth it will go. She really likes the idea and is enthusiastically writing away. I hope to come up with a few more activities like this that will hook her into the act of writing and give her some pleasure. And who wouldn't love finding secret messages from their dear daughter under their pillow?

No comments: